Compliments and Concerns

We welcome your feedback. One of the core values that guides our work is listening to feedback from our communities. The Compliments and Concerns process provides people with a means to provide feedback on what's working and what could be improved. The process ensures follow-up and helps to identify potential systemic issues. We are committed to reviewing and assessing all feedback and concerns in a timely manner. Your feedback will:

  • Be received with courtesy and recorded accurately
  • Be acted upon promptly and fairly
  • Be confidential and protected

To Provide Feedback

1. About Home and Community Care Support Services - If you have a compliment, concern or complaint about home and community care support services click here.

2. About other Health Services Providers - If you have a compliment, concern or complaint about a health care service other than home care, please contact: 

Ontario Health

Att: Communications, Issues Management and Engagement, Ontario Health East

Protecting Your Privacy

If you have a concern that requires us to collect your personal information and you would like us to follow up, we will require your written consent and staff will collect your personal information in accordance with the Local Health System Integration Act, 2006 and Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.

If you have any questions about the consent process or the collection and use of personal health information, please contact or 613-242-0658.  

Patient Ombudsman

The Patient Ombudsman is responsible for investigating complaints related to Ontario’s hospitals and long-term care homes.

Ontario Ombudsman

The Ontario Ombudsman is responsible for investigating complaints related to public sector bodies. The Ontario Ombudsman does not investigate hospitals or long-term care homes.

Health Care Consent Act 

The Health Care Consent Act (HCCA) is an Ontario law that has to do with the capacity to consent to treatment. 

Is your complaint about a Regulated Health Professional?

All regulated health professionals belong to regulatory bodies called Colleges. If your complaint is about a regulated health professional, such as a physician, nurse, physiotherapist, etc., you will need to contact the appropriate College, for example:

  • Physicians and Surgeons: College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario
  • Registered Nurses, Registered Practical Nurses and Nurse Practitioners: College of Nurses of Ontario
  • Physiotherapists: College of Physiotherapists of Ontario

FOI Requests

Request Form under the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act: Click here (provincial website).

For more information on submitting a request or to contact the FOI Coordinator, please click here